Sunday, August 10, 2014

An Abundance Of Veggies

What a delightful dilemma to have. What, oh what am I going to do with all the glorious veggies from this week's Red Wagon Organic Farm pickup? I thought they were giving us plenty at the start of the season, but evidently the offerings grow even larger as the harvest progresses. This week I have leeks, carrots, green beans, beets with beautiful greens, kohrabi (braving it again and it was actually good on the grill last night), zucchini, and a big bunch of parsley, despite having parsley in my own herb garden. What occurs to me for tonight is a recipe for vegetable-bean soup with pistou from my beloved Jane Brody's Good Food Book. Being from an old cookbook it doesn't have a link, but this recipe from Bon Appetit for vegetable soup with pistou is quite similar. The soup would use up the leeks, some of the carrots, some zucchini, and some of the giant bag of green beans, still leaving me with a whole bunch of veggies in the fridge. I could make the pistou from scratch as one of my basil plants is ready for that, but I prefer to do that in a large quantity at the end of the season and because of that, I fortunately have one last container of pesto in the freezer from last year's bounty. So lots of CSA veggies in the pot, plus this will make for an easy midweek reheat dinner as well. Beyond tonight, well I still have to figure that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment