Sunday, August 24, 2014

Summer Tomato Pastas

My idea of a great dinner at this time of year is loads of fresh veggies (our Red Wagon CSA is certainly helping with that) and a nice piece of grilled fresh fish. But with a long distance runner in the family, pasta also has to appear frequently, and with local tomatoes finally coming in, I'm on the prowl for new ideas to use them with pasta. The current issues of Cooking Light and Bon Appetit have already given me three ideas, and I'm not yet finished reading the latter one. One of these is likely to be on our table this week: Curtis Stone's pasta shells with salsa cruda or BLT pasta, both published in Cooking Light, or spicy lobster pasta from Bon Appetit, which notes it can also be made with shrimp instead.

As for the rest of the week, we'll primarily be motivated by using the bounty from our CSA pickup. All the zucchini went on the grill last night, along with a nice piece of wild salmon (fortunately our rain shower timed itself for earlier in the day). For the giant bag of green beans, I could resort to the ground beef and green beans recipe from Jane Brody again (Sprouts has grass-fed organic ground beef for $4.99 a pound through Wednesday), but for variety, I might do a spin on Asian-flavored seared tuna with green beans from Bon Appetit, possibly trying it with swordfish instead, although I do like my swordfish naked except for lemon, hmmm. And crab cakes will also make an appearance while they are $2.99 each at the Longmont Lucky's through Wednesday (usually $1 more at the Boulder Lucky's, no time to check right now). I do seem to be on a protracted roll with fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment